I thought you might enjoy learning from what I did with the owls. I used a GO die. First I ironed onto each of the pieces Steam a seam. But you could starch heavily or use another product that is sticky on both sides. I cut three of the owl pieces, three white eyes, and three black eyes at the same time. I knew that I wanted 12 owls, so that was what I cut out. The instructions that come with the owl die is for a pillow and they put the owl on a 6 x 6.5 piece of fabric. So that’s what I did. However, I feel the owl looks squeezed into too small a space, so I would probably try an 8″ square.
We put the owls in the color order we wanted them, then proceeded to make the pupils, wings, leaves (we used the wing pattern for leaves) different so no two were alike sitting side by side or up and down. Narrow double fold bias tape remnants were used for branches. I numbered the owls on the back of the owl so I could sew like colors at the same time.
Next I put tear away stabilizer on the back side as I sewed the white eyes and then the black eyes using a zigzag with 2.5 width and 1.0 length on the machine. You can change this. I am making this for a small child who will undoubtedly drag this around and I want the applique secure. This is a great place to use those partial bobbins because they won’t be seen. (This is not a display piece and with matching thread on the front, you won’t notice the eyes aren’t exactly a perfect circle – this is a child’s fun quilt)
You can see at the top of this owl, I’m a bit on the inside of the applique. It is better if you are totally on the applique piece than that you might be half on and half on, because this quilt will see the washing machine frequently.
The tear away is now there for the rest of the sewing and you won’t have puckering. From here on, I put on a thread color and did all pieces with that color, then changed color and repeated until all the pieces were secure. When finished, I took off as much of the tear away as I reasonably could and saved any of the tear away large enough to back a leaf, because there will be a lot of leaves on the brown tree trunk. I could have put different borders around each owl to make the block larger and omitted the tree, but chose instead to use width of fabric in tree color for the length of this small quilt. The width will be about 36 which make it a perfect size for a little one.
If I were doing a pillow, wall hanging, or something that wouldn’t see the wash that much, I would probably take my machine numbers to 1.5 -2 width and maybe a .3 zigzag. You might want to play with that.
If you don’t have a GO and aren’t getting one soon, this quilt is simple enough you could make cardboard patterns and still have the fun of making it.
I’m hoping you will enjoy making a few owls for yourself or a special little one.
It’s so easy to look back and see what the better path would have been. So today, I paid for yesterday by sitting. It just shouldn’t take so long to get back to par after a surgery. Above are 3 sweet potatoes that I am hoping will send out runners I can plant. If I wait until the seed houses have them in April, it will be too late to plant them in this area (Seattle). So they are sitting on little toothpick legs and I am hoping for the bestAnother wash cloth designed by Janet Nogle. We were given about 9 rows a day and I was behind. Janet finished the pattern yesterday. However, sitting today gave me opportunity to catch up.I started these socks on #4 needles, but they are tight. I need to buy some #5 needles and redo them.These are photos of this week’s groceries $32.89 and 34.95. Plus we got a gallon of honey from the co-op for 50.50 which made 118.34 for this week. We also ate out last week $23. which I didn’t record and again this week $24. So for this month groceries have been 305.24 and eating out has been $73.00. And it’s going to get a lot worse since I’m needing lots of food for an open house for DH’s birthday next week end.
Mary and I had such fun today!. First we went looking for a rug for the family room and an immersion blender. I needed something because my VitaMix was taking too long to come back from the company. (Of course it arrive this evening).
Since we didn’t find a rug at that store, we moved on to Costco and found this indoor/outdoor rug which should take some abuse if needed. It really warms the room a lot. DH and son really like it.
Then we came back here to the studio and just played with these darling owls, giving them some personality. They are stuck to the fabric and now, I need to get them permanently stitched down. I will also scatter leaves over the brown so it looks like they are in a tree. It was so nice to just enjoy putting them together.