This is the interior of the Globetrotting BOM by Pat Sloan. I toyed with leaving it here, but the size was wrong.
Her instructions were to have a piano key border around the edge, but I felt like that was a bit to fussy for this quilt, so opted for a plain border. I am quite happy with how it looks now. It is the perfect size and colors for a man. It will probably be given to a veteran.
I just couldn’t put it off any longer. The large tomatoes which were on this side had pretty much quit producing, so it was time to chop that forest out of there. I had let them go without pruning the last part of the summer and some of those vines were a good 12′ and more long, working themselves into the next tomatoes. So it was a big mess to remove. But gone, they are. Next week, I’ll finish cleaning out this box, add some slug bait, and cover it with cardboard for the winter.
There is plenty to do to get ready for the cold and wet season. This is the building where the animals spend the night. The alpacas use the shed on the left with open doors. The sheep go into the left side of the building behind the feeder, and the chickens go inside the door on the right side of the building. Their is also a human door between the sheep and the chicken building. The human door goes into a small room that holds feed etc., then into the chicken house where they spend the night. The sheep area wraps all the way around the chicken house and is enclosed in fencing with plastic on the outside, which helps keep them shielded from the weather.
Today, we finished putting brown tarp over the front/outdoor part of the chicken area, so that they (including turkeys, ducks, and geese who do not go inside the house) can all eat in a dry area and spend the night there as well.
I’d love to here about some of your winter weather projects. Just use the comments section.
Breakfast was so good today – package mix gluten-free pancakes.
I loaded the dehydrator with pears and came to the studio with the intention of making some doll clothes. I started to copy the patterns onto pattern paper, but ran out of paper quickly. Then I had the bright idea to see what yarns I had to make the next pair of socks, but was side tracked. Instead I worked on the Globetrotting BOM
These corner blocks and some sashing was part of this month’s assignment. So the 4 corner blocks have been made.
We started by doing some garage cleaning. It is absolutely amazing what a garage can collect. Now we have more collection room, ut no photos of that mess.
Are you tired of these “I spy” quilt tops? Thank you for your patience . This is the fourth one and I am through making this pattern top and ready to move on to something different. I finished this one today and am going to watch a video for the rest of the evening.
We cleaned what we wanted out of the garden beds. Now the areas between the beds will be finished by the hoof stock and chickens this week, then we will put cardboard on the beds for the winter, That is the end of the gardens except for the greenhouse. I think I’ll just put the garlic in pots for the winter.
In addition to the gardens, I canned another 10 pints of tomato sauce and did a good amount of sewing. Another red “I Spy” quilt top is finished and now hanging in the waiting to be quilted closet. It is amazing what can be accomplished when the car doesn’t move out of the garage.
For those of you who are quilters, I’m just passing on the information that Pam Bono and husband, Robert have passed away.
The morning started rather slowly, but we did get the raspberries mostly pruned back. They still need weeding and better wire as what is there is just too flimsy. Also, there are many shoots in the aisle ways to move. Here’s a photo of one little fellow who was enjoying the raspberry bushes.
Ah, yes, and there is some morning glory trying to hide in the berry bushes, that must be totally eliminated.
This afternoon we went to pick up the Packham pears and red potatoes. I think we’ve plenty of food now to get through the winter. I will be dehydrating most of these pears. It makes a good substitution for candy along with the dehydrated bananas.
All 100 pillowcases for children’s hospital are finished. I tucked the last threads in tonight after this photo. These are the last 15 that I finished today. Because it takes me this long, I know to start early. I like to get them to the hospital by Thanksgiving and we still have purple hats to do.
Now I will treat myself to making something totally different, work on the quilts, start a new pair of socks, do some spinning, or maybe I should put the gardens to bed first.
I did work in the greenhouse for two hours today. I’m thinking I would like to make several spots bare, then add slug bait and fertilizer and put cardboard over that to keep the weeds down so it will be all ready to go in early spring. It would be so wonderful to just lift whatever cardboard that hasn’t disintegrated and start planting. However I’m still in the thinking process on that.