The tomatoes now have larger pots, most of which they can stay in for two months. By then we should be past any chance of freezing. There are more tomatoes to pot up plus some peppers, but I need to find more gallon pots before that can happen.
This afternoon, I took the time to finish this quilt as it is due the end of the month. There were a couple suggestions that I stay with black on the borders and bindings which I did and like. I also like how the variegated thread brings out the flight pattern.
I found these darling little knit hearts on Ravelry as a free download. It is too late to have time to knit them for this year, but they would make a small delightful summer project. If you click on the photo, it will take you to the Ravelry site
Here’s another fun idea. U made these a couple years ago and don’t see that they are still available. But you can put the words in your embroidery machine or do it by hand. Just sew around, stuff and close the hole you on the side where you inserted the stuffing.
Mother loved flowers and this print is remnants from the last housecoat I remember her having. I decided this would be a great quilt for me to keep, since it has memories, so I bound it completely by machine as I intend to use it and throw it in the washer and dryer.
I gave the bees another box today and was a bit careless – not a good thing around bees. For that mistake, one of the young ladies nailed me right under the chin. Currently, the bees are very plentiful and I think if I had not given them another box, they might have been getting ready to swarm. I really don’t want to lose them. And next week, I’ll be a bit more cautious.
We planted a few more potatoes from the box that was all roots and pulled out the raspberries that were growing in the aisle. Hopefully Sunday we will get the rest of the potatoes and garlic in the ground.
I keep hoping at least one of you will join me in making a pair of socks. Here is the latest finish,
My splurge. I had no cotton yarn and wanted to do some dish and washcloths.
It took 3 days to cook down the tomatoes (from the freezer) into sauce. I like it to cook to about 1/2 what I started with before I process it. I have 9 pints this time with more tomatoes in the freezer that will become sauce before summer comes. It is so much better to be able to do this while the weather is cool.
Some days I don’t feel like much has been achieved because a some of several things were done. To day we planted 85 daffodils here beside the grapes because I didn’t want to go to all the trouble of digging up grass where I wanted them and they are getting in so late. But I didn’t want to lose them. They will be done blooming before the grapes need the room, so they won’t interfere with each other. Maybe in the fall, I can “get a better start” or I may just like some color where they are. (the dark area). In another place we put the last 15 tulips. The ones planted at the right time are now coming up.
We picked up some starting soil and other items at the wholesale house.
I put a quilt on the frame to quilt. And I started the binding on another quilt. Then I cast on for another pair of socks, – a number of starts today, but now I need finishes.
Here is a fun scrap project, I hope some of you will enjoy. I made a 4 patch from 2.5″ squares and then had another piece of fabric 4.5″ square.
I sewed the pieces together with the pretty sides on the inside, leaving a place to turn, about 1/2 of one side. Turned, pressed and then I filled it will walnut shells.
I happened to have this bag on hand, but if you wanted to do more for gifts, try the lizard section of a pet store for a lesser price. I sewed the opening with a needle and thread.
I have done enough machine work lately that it was time to clean out the bobbin area. Of course, all of you are doing this on a regular basis. Here is a refresher for those who haven’t done it in awhile.
You will need whatever screwdriver your machine takes and possibly your manual. Remove the screws over the plate under your presser foot – and I also removed the foot.
In order not to lose the screws and foot, I put them in the thread cavity. Just be sure they are safe while you are working. Next take a small craft brush and clean the bobbin holder, then take it out and clean underneath. It is amazing how much lint gets in the area.
Check your manual, oil if it specifies and put everything back together. You should be back in business for your next major project.
BANANA update Yeah! all the bananas are either in the freezer or dehydrator. Tomorrow morning I will empty those and be done for a few months – hopefully until after canning is done.