I’m currently working on this little fox, but progress is slow right now, and there are many small pieces.
The garden also beckons me and there are now 9 trays of cucumbers on the dehydrator. These will be great for sauces, dips, and flavoring. Although there are still many cucumbers to share. I am only making a very few pickles this year, because there are still some from last year. I am also looking for a great relish recipe if anyone has one and is willing to share.
The current plan is rest and relax tomorrow. I hope you will join with us in enjoying the day.
Sunbonnet Sue quilt #1 FINISHED – well no label, but whether that happens will depend on who eventually gets it. The batting said it was good for a 10″ spread and these squares are 8″, so I decided not to mess around inside the square. It is backed with a pink flannel that matches the light pink on the front and is soft and cuddly. The finished size is 52 x 63″ – just perfect to wrap around a young lady and/or have as a bed covering.
The weather for the next 10 days is saying daytime highs at 80 and full sun, so we will be out there with hoses going. Fortunately we have about 6″ mulch on the blueberries and grapes, so they will probably be able to go a week between waterings which will help. This is absolutely beautiful weather and I don’t want to be inside sewing, cooking, or cleaning. I’m soaking up as much Vitamin D as possible. I’m thankful that I can sew/quilt from January through April when it’s too wet and cold to be outside any more than necessary.
Yes, we have lemons – that is 4 lemons the size of cherry tomatoes. It’s time study up and see what went wrong. The little tree is now full of fresh blossoms and seems to be very happy out in the hoop house this summer.
I continue to have new experiences and usually just when I think I have learned this machine. This is a scene put down with heat and bond. The quilting machine didn’t seem very happy about that. See those skips. I continued on and then took it to the sewing machine, which also refused to sew on it. I washed it and then I was able to stitch it on the sewing machine. I have quilted through this before without any issues. Does anyone have any ideas what was happening?
I did finally finish this “cabin in the woods” hanging and it’s okay, but I wish the quilting would have gone better. This was a test quilt for the on-line Quilt Magazine. I think it was featured in the October 2016 issue. It was in line to be quilted last fall when it decided to vanish. I found it after Christmas sitting between two stacks of drawers. It finished at 34″ square.
Sunbonnet Sue #1 is quilted and ready for binding.
In this photo on the left, you can see the daisies. I used this Rainbow thread from Superior for the top and a prewound So fine for the bottom.
It was a gorgeous day, in which I was able to be outside part of the day just enjoying the lovely weather. The new sheep are all coated and the baby shots are finished for this year. The garden is fertilized. It was a wonderful day.
Not only have I decided on a pattern for the Sunbonnet quilting, I actually have begun the quilting. It isn’t the pattern that was #1 on my list, but I went with the second idea of all these little daisies and I like it. Maybe I’ll squeeze a bit of time on Father’s day to finish the quilting. Then I want to put something in her hand, but haven’t decided on that yet. After spending the morning at the eye doctor and another appointment, I very much needed to do something creative and was happy to have this quilt ready to go. It feeds the soul to work on something pretty.
I picked a few strawberries today, but I am not happy with the quality, so I may pull them at the end of the season and put new ones in next year.
I also managed to get in a quick trip to the grocery store and pick up the chicken for the dogs, get it in ziplock bags and freeze it.
This very full day has come to an end and so have we, so I’ll say, Shabbat Shalom and have a terrific Father’s day this week end. Those of you with families, love and cherish them.