Continuing from yesterday, I sewed the blocks into rows and then
the rows together to make the quilt flimsy. The line of red you see hanging from the top is the binding. I’m hoping to find time to quilt and bind this before the weekend so it can go to someone who needs it.
But you can see what a fast and easy quilt this is. The blocks are 6″ which is part of the reason it is fast. This particular quilt measures 58 x 69″ which is a very good size for wrapping in or crawling under for a nap. I do hope some of you will soon have one to show us.
I’ve been looking for something that goes together quickly that I can make for the displaced people in the eastern part of my state. I have made this in baby sizes before, but this time I want to make one larger. It is called “Warm Wishes” and it looks like more work than it is. There are several sizes on the net or you can do your own size. The secret to it looking like more work is in how the blocks are turned as the blocks are all the same size.
OK, I cut all the strips according to the instructions and sewed these 3 colors together selvage to selvage. Can you see how the lower one bows? That is because I should have sewed down one side and up the other side instead of starting both from the same side. Starting every other row from the other end will keep your strips straight. I sewed all my sets of 3 then
started cutting them into blocks. Now they are all cut out and next time I come to sew I can sew them together.
See how the one color surrounds the print and the other color is at the other end of that block.
Now you can start to see the pattern start to develop. Next time, I come to sew, I will sew these squares into rows and then the rows together. Then I will be ready for borders. Who is sewing with me?
I have started back to the gym, so that sets me back about 2 hours each day that I go, between the time I leave and get back. But our medical insurance gave us Silver Sneaker cards which allows us to use the gym free. So we’re using it.
After lunch it was a doctor appointment to have my knees checked. 4 years ago, the x-rays showed very little if any cartilage between the bones on the right knee and she told me I was ready for surgery, but that if I wanted to put it off, I should start consistently doing a lot of walking. So I did. Today, the x-rays actually showed a better knee with more space between the bones. She didn’t know why because cartilage does not renew itself. But I’m to just keep on doing what I’m doing to put off surgery, as I don’t need it at this time. That was TERRIFIC news.
Since this is a baby quilt, only 30 x 30 and needed minimal quilting, I pulled it out of my flimsy pile and finished it. It was a sample I did to test a pattern and I think it will be cute wrapped around a baby. It needs to be washed and dried, but is finished!
Today after breakfast, we, no I, decided to do our workout. So we took the mattress off our king sized bed, then proceeded to reverse the sides of each set of box springs. What a difference that made. When one often sits on the side of the bed, it gets a bit weak, so by changing them around, we probably will get another 2 years out of this mattress set. And that was a big workout!
Then while I spent time on the phone with Carbonite (I recommend them to anyone who doesn’t want to lose info on the computer) DH went to get more feed. When he came back we put it in the garbage cans for that purpose.
After a late lunch, I had time to work in the studio, which convinced me that I may not be totally sane. This has been on my desk for a very long time, Copyright is 1993. I have no idea when I bought it nor did I remember even cutting these pieces out. The finished size is 18.5 x 16.5″. The pattern is meant to hang on the wall to pin lapel pins on.
I found two sets of these vest backs with instructions to “turn under raw edges of armholes, shoulder and neckline 1/8″ and applique edges to background fabric.” And I have 24 of these!
This is the other set. These vest fronts were sewn, but not turned. You see there is one missing in the upper right and the first set (above this) have only backs. There is no additional colored fabrics, and only a bit more of the white background. The fronts are attached only at the shoulders and many of them will have an inside pocket – also hand sewn. This is how ufos are created. So now I have what little vests have been sewn, turned. I will put it away for awhile. Maybe I’ll run out of something to do and figure out what to do with this.