Looking for more trouble, I joined the group Super Scary sockshttps://www.ravelry.com/groups/search#view=captioned_thumbs&pp=1&query=super%20scary%20socks&psort=bes on Ravelry. And yes, they are out of my comfort zone, but I have now cast the “Finding the Yellow Brick Road” socks onto the needles. Let’s see how far I get with them.
The other fun things I did today included calling the vet this morning and asking about a charge. It was a double charge. Then I looked at my credit card bill and my utility bill. Both were wrong. Both payments had been credited to the wrong account. I guess it was just my day.
But it ended well as we want to add a loafing shed roof to the barn so the sheep will stay dryer this winter. I went to city planning and they had someone there who took the time to do the drawing for me that I needed, then look over my paperwork so I was able to submit it right then. That was wonderful as it saved a trip and will speed up the process.
Today we started by “eating the frog”. Our frog was cleaning out some long overdue bathroom drawers. One should not be able to find medicines dated 2004. Now you can’t. And there is room for what should be there.
Then I tackled changing coats on two of the ram lambs. They would rather run and play games than stand there and have a coat changed, but just look at this wool! It is gorgeous! It has lovely crimp and length. I am very happy with it and hope these boys find the right home with someone who appreciates it.
After some barn cleaning, Bracken and I came back to the house so she could chick sit. She loves that. Just standing there watching their every move.The 8 kennel quilts are finished. I will wash them and they are ready to donate.
The ground where I wanted to plant potatoes was hard this spring but I had 2 helpers for part of the day. I strung string so they would know where the beds were. I asked them to dig a hole deep enough to cover the potatoes about 3″ and about a man’s hand width apart. The ground was hard, but the weeds had not yet started. The rows are 32′ long and there are 8 of them. I needed to plant many potatoes because we didn’t have time to prepare the soil. So they put the potatoes in the ground and I did fertilize maybe 3 times in the early part. We planted white, Yukon , red, and blue potatoes, in uneven amounts. I just needed potatoes for the winter. When it was really hot, I watered weekly for half an hour each row with drip hoses. We never found time to weed them. The dogs dug holes in the potato lie in and be cool.
I have dug maybe a total of 35+ feet (there are 250 feet of potatoes and some onions) of potatoes and filled 1.5 of the 4 gallon buckets. It is not easy getting the ground to give them up either. I cannot get a pitchfork in the soil, how does that bit of soft potato with an eye manage to push into the ground. And many of these potatoes are very large.
These are small kennel quilts. The photo is the front of one and the back of another to better show the minimal quilting. The people who rescue small animals during a crisis such as floods or fires use many of these in the small kennels. Finished 12 x 18″ is the only size they accept and are so easy to make. Cut two pieces of fabric 12.5 x 18.5″ plus batting. I used an old mattress pad to give it more cushion on these. Put the bottom piece right side up, the top piece upside down, with the batting on top. Pin as needed and sew around the entire sandwich minus 4-6″ to get your hand in to turn. Turn right side out , press, and if you topstitch a bit less than 1/4″, you may be able to catch the opening in the top stitching. On one I did a big x from corner to corner and on the other, just 3 lines on a diagonal. The part that takes the longest is choosing scraps that are large enough, but not so large as to waste fabric, and cutting it out. If you click on the red “kennel quilt”, you will find more information about these. They are extremely easy and if you don’t sew exactly perfect, the small pets won’t complain.